This resource, developed in Australia, provides guidance, information and resources for aged care workers when working with older people from a refugee or refugee-like background. This resource refers to these people as older refugees. The goals of the resource are to:
- build the capacity of aged care services to recognize and respond to the care needs of older refugees
- increase the capacity of aged care services to provide care and support to older refugees
- help staff undertake assessments of older refugees and plan for their care in a way that is culturally competent
- improve communication and relationships between different services as well as between staff working in these services
- inform and assist the ongoing development of policies, practices and procedures related to caring for older refugees.
Key issues discussed include:
- The older refugee’s individual life experience.
- The impact of loss and grief on older refugees.
- The older refugee’s aging process.
- The wider impact of the refugee experience on older age.