M&E | Track Resource Download



Financial Aid for Refugee and Asylee Students

Refugee and asylee students face unique challenges in their quests to obtain postsecondary education. This tip sheet provides answers to pressing questions that can assist refugee and asylee students in determining if enrollment in postsecondary education is possible. This tip sheet answers questions like:

  • What do I need from the Department of Homeland Security to receive financial aid as a refugee or asylee student?
  • My application for refugee or asylee status with the Department of Homeland Security is in process, but I am sure I will be approved. Can I receive financial aid?
  • Can I receive in-state tuition as a refugee or asylee student?
  • I cannot obtain my parents’ financial information for the  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) because they are displaced and I don’t know how to contact them. How does this affect my FAFSA application?
  • I can’t obtain a copy of my high school diploma or equivalent; what can I do to prove I am eligible to attend college and receive financial aid?
  • If I can document eligible noncitizen status, what other options besides federal student loans can I receive to help fund my education and related expenses?
  • Can I use my federal student aid and scholarship money to pay expenses other than tuition?
  • Where can I look to find private scholarships as a refugee or asylee student?