Carbon Monoxide Safety During a Power Outage

This multilingual resource, developed by the Seattle Office of Emergency Management, can be shared with clients to support with emergency preparedness. It covers the following information regarding carbon monoxide safety during a power outage:

If you do not have electricity, prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • ONLY use a generator outside and away from open windows and vents.
  • NEVER use a generator indoors, in garages, or carports.
  • NEVER cook indoors on a gas or charcoal grill.